Friday, August 31, 2012

Bac Ca, Vietnam


Tessa, Nico, and I got off the tourist trail in Bac Ca, Vietnam, a small town about 3 hours by bus from Sapa. We rented motorbikes for 2 days and drove around the mountains. Most of the locals we encountered seemed surprised but happy to see us.



These ladies were drying corn.



Rice paddies



I pulled over my bike and asked these ladies (via guestures and smiles) if I could pick rice with them. This is her "Who is this crazy person?" look.


 
She showed me the proper technique.



The brown water was really muddy. I was a lot slower than them too. I only did it for about 2 minutes and then went to wash off my feet from the squishy mud-water. Thanks to Tessa for taking the pictures.







I think these ladies appreciated the attention. That's a big difference between Sapa and Bac Ca; in Sapa,  the locals are so used to the photo-obsessed tourists , they usually try to ask for money if you want to take their picture.



Motorbiking is by far the my favorite way to get around Asia - you can stop at anytime, go wherever you feel like, feel the breeze, smell the food that people are cooking, and see what the locals are up to. It's great.









Kids riding a water buffalo. They probably do this every day.







Cool kids on a motorbike!





Friends since 3rd grade, friends for life!




1 comment:

  1. My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on numerous websites for about a year and
    am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

    Take a look at my webpage ... electronic dance music

    ReplyDelete